Thursday, April 29, 2010

Crazy Runner People!

So my crazy boss is on this major health kick and he's dragging all of us along with him. It's been good and bad. Good because any move in the right direction is a good one as far as health goes, bad because I've kinda been dragging my feet. I just haven't found "it" since I had Cash. I have participated in 2 biggest loser competitions and done my best to stay motivated, but it still hasn't happened....I just try not to think about the number on the scale. It's kinda scary. One good thing about my body though is that I've always been able to run, run, run...with or without training. So, I was on board when my office decided to do a 5k just 5 weeks after I delivered. Probably not the best idea, but I did great and felt fine. :)



So, next thing he dragged us into was a half marathon. Now this I wasn't too sure about. It's been a long time since I ran more that a few miles, but Erin (the office manager) and I signed up thinking we would have plenty of time to train. Of course we didn't train, but we did survive the race. I finished in 2 hours 37 minutes, which is A LOT slower than my pre-baby half marathons, but better than I thought I would do, so I felt okay about it.


Funny story: So, anyone who has ever participated in a race of any kind knows that there are spectators galore who bring signs and balloons and whatever else they think will motivate their runner. Well, there was a sign I passed that said, "GO CUBBIE GIRL!" At first glance I thought the sign said, "GO CHUBBIE GIRL!" I was so excited to have a fan club and was proud of the other chubbie girl running a half marathon behind me. :) I just had to laugh.

I have another half marathon coming up in a few weeks that I'm running with my hard core mom and beautiful sister...a girl power race, if you will. I've heard the Ogden Marathon is BEAUTIFUL so it should be a good time. Race day always is. There's always something in the air, endorphins floating around or something, but it just feels good. Hopefully I'll shave a few minutes off my time and eventually work up to this again:


This photo was taken after my 2nd full marathon, the Top of Utah in Logan. Still smiling (and standing) after running 26.2 miles. I finished in 4 hours and 20 minutes and hope to do it again someday...or not. :)



10 comments:

  1. Uhm.... oh my gosh. You are my HERO! And Min, I TOTALLY hear you on not being able to find "it" yet. I finally threw up my arms and said if I'm doing all that I can, SOMETHING has got to give... I'll take either inches or lbs, please. ;)

    I seriously cannot believe you just up and ran a half marathon. WOW. I am working up to running 5 miles and I think I am going to die every time I go out. This CHUBBIE is not a runner, but I'm tryin'! :)

    GO YOU!! That is such an accomplishment! I would totally stand there and hold a sign up for you in Ogden if I was there! I get all teary eyed when I run and see something for me. My first 5k Randy was at the finish line with a sign that said "Nae is #1 runner!" lol. I cried. And then threw up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! You make me laugh. You cried and then threw up...I love it. Just so you know, you're my hero too. One of the best mommies I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy...I totally understand what you mean...However...You look just as "hot" in the new pics as the old marathon one:) You are just one of those people that are beautiful no matter how much you weigh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good motivator you are -- I read the part about you, your mom and your sister running together -- YES. I like that idea! Someday I'll share it with my two! I should train now if I don't want to be left too far behind them -- they're already like perpetually energized speed rockets! =) ...& ps, we miss you 'round here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy I look up to you SO much, that is A HUGE accomplishment! I would LOVE to accomplishment that someday, I wish that I was a runner, I tried to train once and the most I got to was 8 miles, that was while pushing my kids in the stroller. I have never had a buddy to train with, maybe that would help, LOL. I have to have music BLASTING in my ears too to keep me going no matter what I am doing working out wise.

    You are my inspiration! YOU LOOK GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so awesome! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Mindy! I have never even done a half marathon, so I am totally impressed. Brings me back to the good old Cross Country days, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've inspired me! I love the idea of being a runner but always feel like I need to prep for it. But you just go out and do it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're amazing! I can't even believe you :) Jealous over here....

    ReplyDelete